Sunday, May 1, 2016

Reading and Writing Milestones

I can't believe it's almost half of the year! April, is my busiest, stressful month so far. After all the waiting... tadah! I'm officially a student again woot! I'm just so happy to learn that I am on the right path- in taking care of Simone. My professor told us, "Please, tell your children's parents that PLAY is more important than studying." They want the children to learn how to write, but how can they learn if they don't practice their fine motor skills, which is again through play. Best way to practice the pincer grasp? PLAY- DOH! Which Simone is highly addicted to. I can't help but feel proud to hear those things. You can also use tongs, clothespin, do sorting. And you all know how I prioritize outdoor play (minimum 1 hour at the playground everyday, with her bicycle or scooter and ball in tow, plus water play at home)

This month is a pretty huge milestone for Simone (3yrs 4mos)- she can write her name (without tracing)! It's still messy, but readable! I have not taken a photo yet, but I will update and upload a photo soon. She will write it herself, and show me, and ask me to write my own name too. She can also write letters, some numbers, shapes, the sun, rainbow, happy face. She can also read as well! Easy sight words like boy, tree, sun, box, fox, cake, yogurt, and a lot more. We read books every night, including sight words from Letterland, and handmade number flashcards. She knows the mandarin numbers from 1-30, but still improving. I need to tell you guys that these are NOT forced teaching... She herself will get the books or flashcards and will tell me that she wants to read. There are days that she will say, "mom, I don't want to do already", or "mom, I want to read some more." Most of the days, I ask her if she wants to read, and it's always a yes. The key to getting her to read and write is being FUN, not boring!

All-time favorite books:

Thanks Angela for this book!!

Those yoga books are a must!
The book Where the Wild Things Are, I did not expect that she will love that book!

The Disney Princess book is great for early readers.

I read her these books when she was younger and now I can't believe she is able to read them herself!

I also let her try a few classes at Kumon. And then on her third trial class, she told me she didn't want to go. "Mom, you teach (taught) me already, it's the same when I go to Kumon" wahaha! (In case some of you don't know, Kumon has homeworks everyday, tsk) I guess Kumon's repetitive method bores her. But she has Kumon workbooks as well so I think she does not need the classes:) Don't worry, they are super easy-peasy and not stressful for toddlers! just connecting dots, maze, drawing lines , etc.


Just now before sleeping, she told me, "mommy, next time daddy give you money, then we share okay?"
That was just the cutest thing! I mean, how can she think of that haha!

Now I'm signing off just as I have finished downloading Shrek 3 for Simone and the baby daddy for his off day bonding haha! These two love Shrek nowadays.

Tatah!

Chicmom&baby




No comments:

Post a Comment