Monday, March 28, 2016

Toddler Photo Shoots

...are not glamorous, well all types of shoots.  It is twice as exhausting, especially for this hyperactive three year old lil monster of mine. Today wraps up our 4th shoot in THREE months. I know it's too much and overwhelming, I must say, for Simone. I didn't expect she would be chosen to do these projects, but we just go with the flow!

Her first one was memorable :) I had to prepare a gazillion looks (own styling), and make her smile and cooperate with the photographer. It was only when I brought out her princess toys and her stuffed toy cat, she started to play with the him. I must say he is the best out of 4 because his efforts were 110%! He got the best shots, I have some free photos, and I have options to buy all of them! Very expensive, but I will!

I won't go to the details of the rest first, maybe I will post a blog for each one, once they are out!


Well, I'm allowed to share this one though!
*Hated myself for forgetting to curl her hair into waves for this boho-chic look.


So, what have I learned from kiddie photo shoots?

Of course I can take great shots of her, because I'm her mother. But kids act differently when other people take their photos, and when people direct them on what to do (like, duh "who are you and why are you taking my photos!"). Simone does not like guy photographers, gets shy and will cling on me. Thank God the last one was a lady, so it went soooooo well!

Kids are very smart, and you can't fool them! Her third shoot didn't do well at all. She was bribed so much and they tried to please her, and she hates it. She didn't want to wear the clothes, put makeup and did not listen to me either. It was not her day, in short. Photographer didn't interact with her, he just waited for her to smile. I'm definitely not blaming or bashing them (I actually praise them for 100% effort in making her smile!),  but maybe instead of doing that, they could have just played with her, so she can be comfortable with them. She was actually playing while waiting for her turn, but when it was already, she threw tantrums. I totally get the feeling, but she was just so..arghhh I was ready to explode that time LOL!

Enough rest and eaten well helps put her in good mood! No chocolates or sugary food prior to shoot, or she will get super active (read: she will run around like crazy) ! I give her in-between or after.

It is good to bring her favorite things, snacks, toys, if she feels uncomfortable,distracted, or if she has a short break. Definitely not bribing, but it will make her feel better. Her Disney princess dolls, green tea, some gummies, and biscuits helped A LOT!

Reward system sometimes work. I try to tell her that if she is a good girl and follows the photographer, we can go "see" toys. Not even saying the word "buy".

Redirect her to other positive thoughts when she is being "active" (meaning doesn't want to follow). This is a bit tricky, since you constantly have to think creatively on what to tell her if something distracts her.

I didn't know when to jump in to help, but I realized that Simone gets super distracted when I'm involved so much, that she won't follow me! So I just let them (staff) do the talking/playing, and I also listen to them so Simone will follow me, while the photographer snaps (or sometimes the photographer himself plays with her and I just sit and watch.) That trick worked pretty well for us.

Lastly, make it fun. That is the ultimate goal. If kid is happy, photos are great!

And for parents, get ready to be a PA (personal assistant), stage mom/dad, and prepare 200% patience. haha.

I'm ready to crash anytime soon!

xx,
chicmom&baby



No comments:

Post a Comment