Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Day Care = SePanx

I wasn't sure whether Simone is ready (or I myself) for child care but I gave it a shot. I wanted to enroll her so that she will learn:

1. Discipline that can't be taught at home (being with kids, and doing things together)
2. Interact with her fellow toddlers (socializing).
4. Break from me. We are together 24/7 (nothing against it, i love it!) but I believe in her having her own time with other people, or else she might become too isolated.
5. I need to have my own time too. At least for a few hours to do chores or errands properly. and rest a bit:)
6. Prepare her days without me as I'm looking forward to work again. Not that I start work then all of a sudden I'm gone and she cries looking for me. 
7. Be independent (eating on her own and so on)
8. Sometimes I couldn't handle her kakulitan (naughtiness) and I need a break!!! (I'm alone with her the whole day)

I think location is STILL the number one factor when choosing a daycare. It should be near to your house. 

I couldn't help myself but cry on her first few days (or a week!ha!) because she was crying everytime I leave her there. Of course, that's super normal, I keep telling myself.I felt so guilty. Why must do this? She can just stay at home, blah,blah, blah, all over again.  She wakes up late, and if you wake her up, she'll be very cranky, so I wait for her to wake up, eat, play a bit, and prepare her for school... The night before her first day, I told her that she will be going to school, and guess what? She woke up super early like 7am (unusual!) and woke me up, saying "Cool, cool?" haha! excited.


First Day High


She has to reach at 10am because there's outdoor play. Lunch is next, shower, milk time, and nap. Teacher informed me to stay and accompany her inside (but not in the classroom) and take half-day for a few days and slowly lengthen the hours. So we are there for 2 hours and go home by 12 noon. After a couple of days, she fell asleep noontime so I went home, and came back at 2:30 pm for tea time. I peeked and saw them at the dining table having snack. cool. She can cope already. A bit. There it goes, picked her up at 3pm. Pretty soon, she was okay, but still cry before I leave her.

There was a two-week trial period which was crucial for me. I thought of pulling her out because she cries a lot, and I'm too concerned,  the routine is very simple and can be done at home instead. But I realized that yeah, that's why it's called a child care. I asked for opinions, and both my moms agreed that it's okay to put her there because it is better to discipline them early:) I have friends who also thought that Simone is still too young (I thought so too) but thinking of Simone being at home the whole day at hubby's grandmother's house (where she will spend her day when I start to work), I don't think her day would be as fruitful as being at childcare where there's a learning experience and fun-filled activities with friends every single day. 

After a week, I got over the separation anxiety and did my own thing, and by the time I pick her up, I felt so good because I was able to finish all my chores, and had my me-time, and next thing we'll do is go to the playground, then home for dinner, and pretty soon, bedtime! What a balanced life! Yay! I also noticed that her sleeping schedule has changed (she sleeps early now yay!, eats more on her own, and less television watching!)

I don't want to pressure/stress Simone too much, I started with 2 hours, slowly to 3-4 and finally 6-7 hours. Morning is strictly mandarin, with a Chinese teacher of course, and afternoon is English. She is at school by 10am and I make her stay until 5pm because Phonics, Fun Mathematics, Music and Movement, are taught in the afternoon. I think that's fine. 2-3 hour classes are good too! But I think they start at 2 years old, so maybe later, we might also consider that.

Mommy tips I can give:

1. Don't pressure! Take it slow. If not, pull her out and try at another time.
2. Always talk to her about school (What did you do in school?, How was your day in school?) basically make her feel that school is cool LOL.
3. Health. Make sure to give vitamins and give healthy food (I mean balanced meal= (orange+green veggies) + fruit high in vitamin C + berries + grains + nuts + seeds)) to avoid sickness and spread the virus, or get easily passed on)
4. Make up for "lost time" (in school) by going to the park or somewhere afterwards to bond and relax :) So they have something to look forward to after school.

On another note, I still do wish I have a work at home job and take care of Simone!!!! Nothing beats that!

It's never too early to learn!

xx,

shiela




No comments:

Post a Comment