Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Formula Milk No More

One of the things in my bucket list before Simone turns three is to wean her from bottle to cup, at least. She is formula milk-free for more than 2 weeks now. How'd that happen?

Nothing, she just stopped asking for milk. Well previously, she would ask, and make herself (she scoops on her own) , shake, and drink. Then only wants to scoop, until she doesn't ask anymore. I would always offer, but she always decline.

I was contemplating way back when she was 1 year old to wean her from formula to cow's or soy or almond, but she just loves her milk, so I stuck to it. I even tried mixing fresh milk and formula, soy/almond and formula, but she just knows, and won't drink it. This year I lessened her milk intake so she could eat more food.

From nursery 1 to nursery 2 next year, they are being transitioned to stop drinking milk during the day , because nursery 2 level, don't have the milk routine anymore. Simone just drinks 270ml in the morning and same amount during bedtime. But now, completely no formula.

But, WOW, can I just say that she eats a LOT right now! I mean her appetite really soared up high, and she used to hate drinking water. She can't even finish half of a bottle, but now, she can finish one and a half bottle. Her teacher tells me she asks for a refill! I was amazed.

But I was a bit worried.... calcium anyone?

There are so many non-dairy resources of calcium! I always sprinkle chia, flax and hemp seed on her fruits, Oatmeal has calcium. Spinach, eggs, tofu! Hey, I can make breakfast already! Usually she only drinks milk in the morning. So now, I make something that has calcium in it.  I use organic full cream milk. Overnight oats in milk, blueberries, bananas, strawberries with hemp, chia and flax.  Cereals with milk, Quinoa salad with tofu, tomatoes, spinach, cheese, mushroom. Or spinach mushroom cheese omelette! A lot actually. Sesame seeds has the highest amount of calcium. I love avocado too! If you're thinking about other enriched vitamins and minerals in the formula milk she is missing out, I give her vitamins everyday and I mostly feed her plant-based foods anyway. They better come in from real food and not "enriched", right?


I use these milk



*organic milk = grass fed (not GMO grain fed) cows, no pesticides, no herbicides.

Some guide for calcium:







Thinking of making smoothies and ice cream next!

xx,
s


No comments:

Post a Comment