Thursday, May 1, 2014

Best Cough Syrup For Everyone (without side effects!)

Last Friday, I heard Simone cough. Didn't sound serious, but the mucus is building up. The next day, heard it again and thought of bringing her to a doctor for prevention. But wait, should I? It's just starting. I was confused. The doctor might poke fun on me and call me paranoid. Am I? haha! Hmm what should I do to prevent it without going to the doctor? I really hate giving medicine because of the additional chemicals, coloring, and side effects in it. Researched again, natural remedies for cough..... Tan tan tan tan (drumroll please)!!!!! I found Onion syrup... wait what? It's the cough syrup in the olden days, back when there's no medicine.

All you need is a big red/yellow onion and honey/brown sugar (use organic brown sugar for infants) and airtight container.

Can you see the syrup?

The liquid had doubled. I didn't put enough honey, because I was still testing this batch. The whole onion should be soaked.

Slice the onion, put the base of the onion in the container, add honey or brown sugar, put another slice, and basically just layer it. (I only covered the onion with little honey as I intend to use it for 2 days, and make a new one with more honey) Let it sit for 8-12 hours, then you can put it in the fridge. You will see the syrup, I swear! It's good for 2 days, I use 1-2 tablespoons three times a day on Simone.

Ohhhh the inner scientist wannabe in me mixed in a squeeze of lemon, and garlic. That was my first attempt. I chopped everything. Too powerful-- but great result, I didn't hear Simone cough for like 5 hours after giving her 2 tablespoons! But the smell and taste was too strong for her... I pity her! haha. You can also use garlic, but onion is milder. So I stuck to the onion and honey remedy. Did it consistently for 3 days, GONE. Actually 2 days there was none already, but just gave her a last shot just because. I also avoided mucus causing foods. Here's a chart.



So there, once you hear a mild cough, don't wait any longer. Get your onions ready!

A little info about onions from The Earth Clinic :

The onion, like all members of the allium family, is rich in sulfur. That sulfur content can lend the onion antibiotic and antiseptic qualities that are often put to good use by the naturopath or home remedy practitioner for both internal and external use. For centuries, onions have been touted as the one thing that might be able to kill a flu infection, and many families have passed that remedy through the generations!

Natural Cures: In particular, onions are recommended for respiratory conditions, including coughs and colds. Taken raw it can be a good expectorant. Onion juice mixed equally with honey is a popular cough syrup. Their flavonoids and sulfur compounds make onions beneficial for the heart, cholesterol levels, diabetes, arthritis, and generally as an antioxidant.

Honey is a powerful anti-bacterial too. Use raw or Manuka for maximum results.



You can check this link for a full article--> Benefits of Honey love this site!

Disclaimer: I'm no doctor, so follow your mama instinct if you feel that you need to bring your child to a doctor. Or yourself.

xx,

shiela


No comments:

Post a Comment