Saturday, April 26, 2014

Food Wars

I never thought this would happen to me! *Snorts* Food wars, as parents call it. Simone has a pretty good appetite. She ate well all throughout her 1st birthday, and later as she learns to walk and discover other new things, eating was slowly abandoned. "What's wrong?", I asked myself. She started the throwing phase, refused to eat and throw. I made her a snack tray with all sorts of pica-pica. She flipped it. Cookies and other sweet stuff were also rejected (I was desperate) What a tough cookie. Teething? partly. But teething will take up till their 2nd birthday to complete the set! How?  It wasn't the food, my cooking is edible, or rather good (praises thy self LOL), even restaurant food, she won't even taste it and straightaway rejects it! Imagine my frustration when I take time and effort to cook for her and in split seconds, the food is now on the floor. I just laugh about it now. Unfortunately, I don't own a dog anymore, so no one will clean the messy floor but ME. I don't like feeding and chasing after her when she is playing and I want her to learn to feed herself the whole meal (only eats halfway then I feed her) and that eating is at the dining table, not anywhere she wants. Discipline please. So maybe she gets bored in a highchair? Either I cut the food into bits or give it whole, she will drop it like a hot potato. She will explore the food, play, and drop it on the floor using her spoon, and then dropping the spoon. Is it the utensils? At restaurants, sometimes she is very restless after she eats for a while and whines because she wants to get out and walk.

Having some kefir with fruits while watching, of course.

I've researched this issue and found out that it is COMPLETELY NORMAL for toddlers to do this as they are busy exploring the world. I'm glad I'm not alone. I have read worst stories, and I felt a little bit better.

The best advice I read is that, "If your child doesn't want to eat, you have to be patient and find a way to put something inside their tummies without forcing them." Tough huh? It is ironic to this common advice-- "Let them be, don't force them to eat as they will eat when they are hungry, toddlers are smarter than what we give them credit for." Makes sense too. But... I feel guilty if I don't do anything.

Bestest advice from me: Relax, it's just food. Make mealtimes a happy one. You can try again later. There are bigger problems in the world. Follow your heart mama!!! (As if it's so easy to do!)

Some kids will just drink milk to fill up their empty stomachs, and pediatricians recommend to reduce the milk or completely take it away so they will have room for food. Ugh that's another problem. For my lil monster, most of the time she needs entertainment (good one or else she won't eat) and she will open her mouth. Silly girl. But the thing is, I can't let her watch cartoons all the time. I want her to concentrate and enjoy her food just like the French do, (oh and I needed to buy that book called French Kids Eat Everything by Karen Le Billon) 

From the book "French Kids Eat Everything".
Do you agree with #7? I do give snacks:)

Think, think,think. I bought her new utensils where she might be interested in: Elmo spoon and fork in metal, since she likes using what adults use, I almost bought a new plate too, but no. Removed cartoon watching at lunch (the replacement is ME, singing and clapping and praising her whenever she is able to feed herself--talk about performance level!), and only using it during dinner. Lastly, I started eating with her. We eat together now so she will see me eating and copy what I'm doing. Sometimes I don't eat with her just because I'm not hungry yet or eat later, but I figured that eating together is the most important part. So far, I think she is enjoying her utensils, and says "Mmm!" when she eats. Relieved. One rule I imposed is when she starts to throw food, I give her a warning and explain that food is not for throwing but eating. Second time around she does it, meal is over. When she refuses food, I give one more try and if nothing happens, it's done-zo!

Who wouldn't resist Elmo?


And NO, being a Stay-at-home mom is NEVER an easy life! Tougher than my first job where I had the worst boss. It is the toughest job in the world! I always lose to a lil monster. haha.

xx,
shiela

No comments:

Post a Comment